Thursday, March 08, 2007

How Good Are Your Shoes?

I would rather buy shoes than anything else in this world including food.

Ever since I was growing up in New York, my mother and her sisters used to lecture me on the importance of a great shoe in every woman's life.

My Mother , who grew up during the Roaring 20's and as a young girl was a Flapper, always said people will know if you wear cheap shoes. So I always bought "good shoes". But how do you know, beyond the price tag, if a shoe is good. By that I mean, well made and worth the money you paid. Of course, a well made shoe is far more comfortable than a cheap one. It doesn't need to be "broken in."

Here is a simple test:

- Place a pair of a flat surface. If it is a high heel is it well balanced? Does it wobble? They should be perfectly balanced.

- Put two sizes next to each other. A size 7 and a size 9. The proportions should be the identical. To give this the acid test, put the two sizes next to each other. The heel of the larger size should be slightly higher.

- They should fit to the shape of your foot. When wearing a flat or a pump the sides should be flush with the foot. If you can get your finger in the back or side, the shoe is not made well.

And yes, how many pairs of shoes should any red blooded woman have? I have a friend who has 5 , she calls them her basic wardrobe. Well good for her. As for me, if this was the 18th century I would probably be in debter's prison for my shoe habit. So how much is enough or what does any one woman really need?

This is my latest version of your basic shoe wardrobe, given the current styles:

• One pair of a black leather slight round toe high heel pump. The heel height is whatever you can handle. From 1 1/2" to 4".
• A simple flat- I like a ballerina style or you can do one with a peep toe.
• One pair of open toe high heels.
• A loafer or moc style for casual wear
• Short boot
• Dressy sneakers

Of course, I have over 100 pairs but then again, I'm really into shoes:-)

Shopping tip: Buy shoes later in the day when your feet are slightly swollen not first thing in the morning. This is ultra important when you are buying boots.

Right now for Spring 2007 patent leather is so hot as is anything metallic. Yes, you can wear a silver or gold or copper flat for day. Same for velvet in the fall/winter. There is very little out there that is strictly day or night.

So go ahead and be nice to your feet and they will definitely take you where you want to go!

Learn more about fashion, makeup, beauty, and style

No comments: